Sisters by Blood, Letters by Choice


We can still remember the last night we had together before Maddie left for college. We were stuffing our faces in pizza and binge-watching Grey’s Anatomy, doing our best to ignore the fact that tomorrow we would be separated for the first time in our lives. We are 22 months apart, but because of Tri Delta, we couldn’t be any closer.
Maddie: I was so excited, but so nervous to move to Nacogdoches and start my journey at Stephen F. Austin State University. I remember climbing those 6 floors with all my dorm necessities to room 628 in Steen Hall that hot August day. With the help of my family, I was moved in quickly and I hugged them goodbye. I tried my best not to cry, but when I hugged my not-so-little sister, tears spilled from my eyes. I could not imagine doing life without her. Thankfully, I had recruitment starting that next day, and little did I know, I would not be doing life without a sister (or should I say sisters) this year. Although, it has almost been two years, I can still remember those three breath taking days vividly. The hairspray, the manicures, the constant pitting, the urge to re-apply your matte lipstick, and the blistering feet from hours of wearing heels was worth it. My heart was so full on Bid Day when I walked through those royal blue doors because this beautiful house was now my home… and then I blinked and my freshman year was over. I know that sounds very exaggerated, but your freshman year in college is even faster than your senior year in high school. I got home that summer and shared my experience with Emma. I wanted her so badly to share the inseparable bond I had with my Tri Delta sisters.
Emma: During my senior year, I was stressed about choosing the right college. I loved SFA, but I was scared I was choosing it because my big sister was there. That year without her had been hard, and we both missed each other a lot. After my high school football team lost the fifth round in playoffs and I turned in my poms, I was anxious to graduate. On Maddie’s birthday weekend, I drove to East Texas to celebrate with her. I fell in love with that drive, full of pine trees and wide-open spaces. I met her sorority sisters and clicked with them instantly. I knew I wanted to be a lumberjack and though I did my best to keep an open mind, I knew I wanted to be a Tri Delta too. In August of 2016, I hauled my carefully picked wall decor, my Keurig, and as many clothes as I could fit in the tiny dorm wardrobe to Steen Hall, and chose just one letter that is three times better.
Growing up, we had always been close, but Tri Delta has made us best friends. We have both grown so much and we know it’s because we are surrounded by unique, beautiful, and strong sisters. Sisters that stay up all night flipping pancakes for our wonderful philanthropy, St. Jude. Sisters that watch Nicholas Sparks movies with you and buy you pints of half-baked Ben and Jerry’s ice cream when that stupid frat boy breaks your heart. Sisters that open the doors of their closet to make sure you have the perfect outfit for tailgate. Sisters that help you thrive and steadfastly love one another. We have both always felt so fortunate to have one perfect sister, but words cannot describe how blessed we feel to have 100 sisters. There is truly nothing better than sharing your letters and your last name! We wish all the young women whom are choosing to go Greek this fall the best of luck and we hope you find the home we did in Tri Delta.
Delta Love and ours,

The Pellet Sisters

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment