Silver, Gold, and Blue, is Tri Delta the Perfect Fit for You?

Like any childhood cliche, I always knew I wanted to be in a sorority. As an only child growing up, I ached to be a part of a sisterhood, especially when the film “Legally Blonde” was released and I watched as Elle Woods, clad in head-to-toe pink and backed by her lifelong sisters of Delta Nu, graduated from Harvard Law and kicked some serious criminal butt. Since pleading with my parents to give me siblings never worked in my favor, a sorority was my only shot at sibling love, and an absolutely great one at that.
Recruitment was a fantastic blur, filled with glossy hair, red lips, and awesome conversations with complete strangers belonging to every house on the row. While some may struggle with finding their forever home, for every house is lovely, my decision came with ease. On my first day walking through Tri Delta’s cobalt blue doors, I knew I was home. But of course, I kept an open mind and heart, for that is the only way to truly find your forever home. Luckily, Delta Delta Delta chose me as I had chosen her and the rest is history…
Just kidding- I am going to gush to you about the cherry-on-top experience that is being in Tri Delta! I am approaching my third, and last, year of active membership (I rushed as a sophomore so I am about to be a senior). I want to start by clarifying something: I have been to 47 countries and in my life have experienced things most people only dream of, but those all crumble in comparison to the family I found in Tri Delta. I’m serious-I am like living the life of a cool tumblr girl with a dash of a preppy pinterest board.
With my membership in the Beta Xi chapter, I expected the usual things that come with friendship: people to be nice to me and sit with me in the cafeteria so I do not look like a total loser. But I was blown away at how quickly my sisters loved and cherished me. Off the bat, I had girls who furthered my intelligence by helping me study and teaching me things I had never known, like algebra and the miracles of hairspray. I had people passionately tell me about the wonderful things they have gotten to do for our philanthropic partner St. Jude, and how I could help be a part of something bigger than myself. I had girls squat down in 6 inch heels in 98 degree weather just to make sure my selfie was bound to get insane “likes” on Instagram. But also, I had sisters who fearlessly knocked down the walls I had put up around me, only to smother me with love and compassion. I had sisters hold me as I ugly cried about boys or than I smudged the winged liner I spent 30 minutes drawing on. I had all of these things so fast, and I still have them to this day.

Any time anyone, including you if you go through recruitment, brings up sororities or greek life, the same thing will always pop up: “You want to pay for your friends?” I often laugh at this because one, it is not like I haven’t heard that one a trillion times, and two, you cannot put a price on lifelong sisterhood. Friends like Madison, Alex, Rani, Annie, Ashley, Kara, Shannon, Grace, and so on are the sparkles in the sea of khaki, the Tory Burch sandals in a flood of Crocs, and the pansies blooming amongst the weeds. Thanks to the relationships I have made through the chapter and all the experiences and opportunities it has offered me, I have grown into a woman I doubted I could ever be. The love and support from my sisters has filled me with so much courage and confidence that I not only want to be better for myself, but for Tri Delta and for collegiate women everywhere. The world can be a scary and unforgiving place, but when you are backed by knight-like women, adorned in silver, gold, and blue armor, it is as if anything is possible. I owe my happiness, laughter, confidence, and heart to Tri Delta. These past two years have been ones of fairytales, and I cannot wait to see what this coming year has in store!
Delta Love and Mine,
Anna Jagneaux

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment