Things to Remember When Going Through Recruitment


By Kaitlin Capps

Going through recruitment can be extremely overwhelming, and you might have a million doubts and thoughts running through your mind. How does this work? Am I even at the right house? Is it okay to say that? Oh gosh, I’m being weird! While it’s true that you might not know how the house feels about you, or if you and your friend are thinking of the same sorority, it’s also true that you’re going to be fine. It’s a lot to think about, but if you know what to expect it will make the decision at the end of the day so much easier. 

Recruitment is basically like shoe shopping. You pick which shoes you like, try them on, mentally list your preferences, and then commit! Seriously though, recruitment is so exciting and rewarding. The best way to go into the first day of recruitment is with a completely open mind.  Try going into each house with the mindset, “Let’s see if I fit in here!” Listening to everyone else’s opinion can be confusing, and you might feel misplaced. Remember, you are going to be in this sisterhood for four years, so you want to make the choice that feels natural for you

A really common concern is staying together with your friends, and trust me-- we’ve all been there. You’re going to the houses and you like this one, but your best friend likes a different one. My roommate and I had this exact problem. We went into recruitment wanting to stick together, but ended up picking different houses. It’s important to remember that being in a sorority doesn’t mean you can’t have other friends. In fact, being in a different sorority than your friend could be fun for both of you when it comes to supporting each other and having different events to participate in.

Going into recruitment with an open mind and optimistic mindset makes the whole process easier on you. I knew I belonged in the Tri Delta sisterhood almost immediately. As soon as I started talking to the girls, we became fast friends and it started to feel like home. You want to go where you feel like you belong and can get involved. If you don’t have to make an effort to have a conversation and you feel 100% comfortable, then that is your home. I experienced all of those with Tri Delta, and I am very happy to call it my home.

Good luck and Delta love,
Kaitlin Capps

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment