A letter from the Tri Delta President


By Sydney Reed


     As president of a Panhellenic sorority, I confess that I get caught up in the day to day responsibilities that the full schedule of a Panhellenic woman entails. Something I do not do nearly enough of is telling my chapter how much I love them. I am lucky to serve a chapter full of incredible women. I am forever grateful for the strong friendships that have withstood the trying times of college, and I am thankful that these are the women that wear my letters.

     One of my favorite sports quotes is from recent World Cup Champion Abby Wambach: "I've never scored a goal in my life without getting a pass from someone else.” That is 100% true in my own life, and luckily for me (and soon for all of you going through recruitment) I have over 100 women kicking me passes. I never imagined that this is the role I would have going into my senior year of college, but I'm thrilled that it is. 

I admit to being slightly envious when I see all of your careers at SFA as Panhellenic women just beginning; it makes me realize mine is coming to an end. I’m still holding out hope for the truth behind what one of our alumna advisors tells us. She says, “If I had to choose my 4 years as a collegiate Tri Delta verses the 20 years I’ve been an alumna of Tri Delta after that, I’d choose the 20 years.” Although it’s hard to imagine Tri Delta as something other than the late night study sessions (that turn into anything but studying), the intramural games, or the experience of living in the “Dome, it has to be true that our lifetime membership in Delta Delta Delta will inevitably evolve.

     Right now, you have yet to step foot into your future “home,” and there is so much excitement and anticipation in that. In one short year from now, you will be on our side of recruitment. You will be digging down deep to put your sorority experiences into words and discovering a new confidence in yourself and in your sisters. I’ve discovered recruitment to be one of my favorite aspects as a collegiate member of Tri Delta. I see everything that you all have accomplished in high school (yes, I’ve read every single one of your registration profiles!) and know that your futures at SFA will be wonderful and fulfilling.

     I look back on all the passes I’ve received from Tri Delta: the officer positions, a place to call home over the summer, the relationships with my littles, the sweetest house mom, the professional connections, and of course, the lifelong friendships. As cheesy as it sounds, I scored big when choosing Tri Delta, and I think my sisters would say the same for themselves. I give all of my thanks to the ideals of Delta Delta Delta that have shaped me into the woman I am today and the one I will strive to be for the rest of my life.

     I am excited for all of you to begin your journeys as Panhellenic women, and I can’t wait to meet all of you at Recruitment!


Delta love,

Sydney Reed

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment