A letter from a Tri Delta Rho Gamma


What it means to be a Panhellenic Woman:

 

"We, as Undergraduate Members of women's fraternities, stand for good scholarship, for guarding of good health, for maintenance of fine standards, and for serving, to the best of our ability, our college community. Cooperation for furthering fraternity life, in harmony with its best possibilities, is the ideal that shall guide our fraternity activities.  

We, as Fraternity Women, stand for service through the development of character inspired by the close contact and deep friendship of individual fraternity and Panhellenic life. The opportunity for wide and wise human service, through mutual respect and helpfulness, is the tenet by which we strive to live."

 

For most of you reading this it may not mean a bit of sense. If you were like me I only thought I was joining a sorority for my letters, my friends, my colors, my t-shirts, and my house. It was all about what Greek letters I would represent one day, never about anything else.  When you are looking at the adorable pictures (yes, every chapters PR is fabulous) on social media and are thinking oh my goodness that could be me. Or even meeting up with girls and learning all about them and what their chapters represent. It’s an overwhelming  feeling knowing that one day you will be a apart something so grand. I remember day dreaming about what cute shirts I would be wearing, who I would meet, and how I would have stories to tell (if you know me I am all about the story telling). I was more than ready to be a part of this. I was ready to make a name for myself, find myself a home, and be wearing letters with such pride. 

I went through recruitment with this simple minded concept. Being so incredibly selfish, I only wanted what I wanted and I hoped one day the same chapter would want me. This was my entire impression of what Greek life was all about. Never did I think that I could be something more than that. But the hard truth is it doesn’t work like that. College is the time to be selfish; I will be the first to admit it. You have four years to be you, with no attachments and no ties, just you. But when you’re going through recruitment we all (including our chapters) get so wrapped up in our progress and forget what exactly you are joining. Every single sorority woman is not just representing their own letters but more importantly being a Panhellenic Woman. You are not just a part of XYZ chapter, you are now a woman representing all of Greek Life. When we are in college the individual letters mean so much, and forever will remain in your heart. But in the bigger picture we are all one. A unity of women whom “stand for service through the development of character inspired by the close contact and deep friendship of individual fraternity and Panhellenic life.” This is what you are a part of now, you are now a Panhellenic woman along with thousands of other women across the nation. This commitment is larger than SFASU, it is something more.

 

Fortunately for me I did find the chapter of my dreams, Tri Delta was my home. I knew the second I walked into those doors this is where I belonged. It was a relieving feeling knowing the stress was all over when I opened up my Bid day card in the fall of 2013. I have truly found my friends and sisters whom are helping shape me into the woman I am, and who I will become one day. I am so lucky to have found my home and hope that every single one of you find yours as well. I loved Tri Delta ever so much that this summer I have given up my letters (which I hold with so much pride) in order to help YOU have a better recruitment experience. I love being a Tri Delta, but I love even more being a Panhellenic woman.  I know what you all are going through, every single Panhellenic woman you will meet this recruitment season also knows what you are going through. Every member is just as excited and nervous as you. So take a deep breath it’s all going to be just fine. Here are a few tips I have for you going through recruitment:

1. Be yourself: Bottom line this is the only thing that matters. Every chapter wants to know about you, nothing else. So be yourself. If you’re goofy, be goofy. If you're witty, be witty. If you’re quiet, then it’s okay to be. Do not change who you are for this, because no matter what, you can’t change who you are. 

 

2. Ask questions: When you go through recruitment always ask questions if you have any. A lot of the time you will feel very overwhelmed and miss things that every chapter is telling you and forget to ask or are too nervous too. My advice is to listen, learn, and ask. If you are joining a certain chapter everything matters, you don’t want to join something thinking one thing and finding out another once you have committed to that house. 

 

3. Ignore EVERY stereotype: I know sometimes it hard not listen to all the gossip that will be swarming the weekend of recruitment. Everyone has an opinion, an older sister, or friend that has done this before. Every one of those people have their beliefs, but you have to remember that the stereotypes going around are the homes of hundreds of women on your campus. These women love and respect their chapter and are giving you 100% in order to help you find your home. So please give them 100% back. 

 

4. Use your Rho Gammas: Your rho gammas are your support system through this entire process. They have given up their letters to help you. We are all willing to help you, talk to you, and guide you to finding where you belong. We are here for a reason and are your best asset. Ask us anything and everything and I can promise you that you can rely on us. 

 

College is the greatest time of your life. Soak it up. Enjoy every minute because one day it will be over (sadly). Enjoy this recruitment season; learn all you can about every house and have fun with it. From every Rho Gamma we can’t wait to meet you all and get to know more about you. Being a panhellenic woman has been the greatest journey so far, and I can’t wait for you all to experience this too. 


XOXO,

Your Tri Delta Rho Gamma 

 

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment