Letter From The Recruitment Chair



By Chandler Gentry

Recruitment. The end all/be all of most incoming women's college experience. The emotions are indescribable, your excitement is uncontainable, and your mind wonders constantly... wondering who is watching and how all these girls you meet always look impeccably put together; beautiful. 

You think to yourself: how did each of these girls go from frazzled freshmen to finding their forever home along with finding themselves? I can say from experience I was the definition of frazzled as I ventured from house to house on day one of recruitment. I returned to my dorm and thought to myself, Okay, did I just black out because I can't remember anything I talked about with these girls! I went from that feeling on day one to returning to houses on day two and speaking with the girl I spoke to the day before. I couldn't even remember her name, but boy did she remember mine. Next was making it to pref day, being so exhausted to the point where you don't know really why you're crying, but you are. It could be because you're finally done, or because you're in your forever home in deep conversation with possibly your future sister you clicked with, or just because you're taking your swollen feet out of your heels on your way back to the charter bus. When I stepped into the Tri Delta house on pref day, I felt relieved and accepted. Yes, I did shed a few tears ... okay, maybe a lot of tears, and felt perfectly welcomed to do so. 

am blessed to say, 3 years later, I am VP of Membership and in charge of one of my favorite aspects of Tri Delta. 

Yes, recruitment brings out the frazzle in all of us. The words of wisdom I can give to you as you begin this journey are to keep an open heart and an open mind. As you are visiting different houses, picture yourself down the road and see if this house will encourage you to grow and expand yourself into a better woman. My next piece of advice is this: it’s okay to cry. Some won't and some will. Your heart will lead you to your forever home ... follow it. Be upfront, know where you stand, and know where you see yourself. This helps you focus your mind on the bigger picture (being closer to finding your home away from home). Lastly, enjoy every minute of recruitment; you only get this experience once in your lifetime, so take every expected and unexpected encounter happily and with open arms. 

This is said to be the best four years of your life, so why make it anything else?!

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment