What Recruitment Means To Me

      When I walked through the huge blue doors of the Tri Delta house for the first time, the first thing that popped into my head was, "Please God, don't let me trip in these heels" and the second was "Wow, this isn't as scary as I thought it was going to be." Recruitment is such a scary idea for anyone about to go experience it. Even if some people act like they aren't a little nervous, they are. But Recruitment gave me more than I ever thought it could have: a big, a best friend, a sisterhood, and a family.
     Coming from high school, everything I really knew about sorority life I had seen either on TV or on Instagram. I didn't know what Pref night meant, what you were suppose to wear on certain days, or most importantly if I really wanted to be in a sorority at all. But I took a chance, registered for Recruitment and before I knew it I was walking into the Tri Delta house. Yeah I was nervous, and even a little overwhelmed but 15 minutes after being in the chapter room, and talking to girls about my favorite Disney movies I realized I wasn't thinking about being nervous anymore. I felt relaxed, and the girls I talked to genuinely cared about what I had to say.
    Recruitment is so much more than having the perfect dress, or worrying about what you look like. Recruitment is about giving yourself the opportunity to put yourself first and making the decision of which sorority you feel provides you with the sisterhood you are looking for. Going through Recruitment its not your job to worry about what your friends are thinking, or what your parents think is best, its absolutely about what you want and only you. This is your one time in life to be completely selfish and only focus on what is best for you and your future.
    I remember meeting certain girls in the Tri Delta house and imagining that one day we could be sisters, and what that would mean to me. One of the girls who I talked to is now my Big and I couldn't imagine going one day without her by my side. She is constantly making me laugh or helping me through the bad days, and looking back on the day I met her I am so thankful she sat down across that table from me and introduced herself.
    So when you walk through our doors, and all the other ones remember this isn't about anyone else but yourself. When your talking to the girls, imagine if you can see yourself talking to them 4 years from now. Imagine the types of women you want to introduce to your parents as your best friends, or they girls you want to come cheer you up after a bad day. Recruitment lasts 3 days but the sisterhood lasts a lifetime, so take your time, don't stress and remember the sisterhood is going find you and you are going to know! Until then be excited because your about to start an amazing journey!

Share this:

0 comments:

Post a Comment